KNOW OUR PRODUCT
Enjoy your product you have bought from PortsideCafe. Let it age beautifully – the patina it develops over the years is what is charming about our leather. You can enjoy using our products for years with a little bit of knowledge and care. Each product coming out of PortsideCafe is hand-finished and uses traditional methods to ensure strength and longevity. This, together with natural features such as knots, grain and colour variation ensures that each piece has individual characteristics and is a testimony to the authenticity of the material used to create it. The images you see on our website depend on the camera used to take the picture of the product, the brightness, contrast, other settings, etc. of the monitor on which you see the image of the product. When you see the same actual product with naked eyes this may look slightly different.
To prolong the life of the products you buy from PortsideCafe we advise the following:
- To maintain the appearance of your furniture we recommend regular dusting with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Do not hard rub-dry.
- Spills should be removed immediately by blotting with a dry white cloth as it may causes marks and stains if left unattended.
- A slight damp cloth may be advisable in some cases.
- If on long vacation it is advisable to cover the furniture with a large cotton fabric.
EXPANSION AND TIMBER MOVEMENT
- All woods will display movement from season to season because of changes in atmospheric temperature and humidity. This may occasionally make moving parts a little stiffer to operate. We does not recommend locating products in excessively high or low temperatures, or where the environment is often damp as this may cause product issues.
LEVELING, ASSEMBLY AND MOVING PRODUCTS
- It is essential that your furniture is positioned on a level surface to ensure that the doors and drawers functions correctly and open smoothly.
- If doors fail to operate smoothly, or the product is moved, levelling should be re-checked.
- Take care when moving products. We recommend they are lifted by two or more persons depending on the weight of the product as dragging items across the floor will cause damage to the joints.
- Usually we ship the goods in assembled condition. If any assembly is required, we will inform this in advance with proper instructions and this can be done easily with the help of a local carpenter. You can also contact us incase you need any help.
- Products which needs to be assembled should be assembled at the intended location.
SUNLIGHT AND HEAT
- Avoid exposing your furniture to excessive heat e.g. by placing it in front of a radiator, as this can cause cracking. Direct sunlight will also causes discolouration of the products. Do not place any products directly under the sun light.
- Never place hot dishes directly onto the furniture items, we recommend the use table-mats and coasters.
- Prolonged use of hot electrical equipment, such as a laptop, on top of furniture may also cause scorching and discolouration.
FEATURES OF NATURAL WOOD
Wood is a beautiful natural material. It is important to understand its unique properties; which should not be mistaken for flaws:
- Wood Shading and Grain: Each piece will have a slightly different grain pattern. Variation in colour, shading and grain between different products and within the same product can occur; this is a normal feature of all natural wood furniture.
- Knots: Knots are a natural property of all real wood furniture; they do not affect performance, and add interest to each piece.
It is important to understand the features found on all good quality leathers. The following are natural characteristics of leather (not faults/defects):
- Marks and blemishes: Most of our leathers are vegetable tanned this then hand-stained and highly distressed to get a time-worn look. Marks and blemishes which are intrinsic to this kind of leather are not to be regarded as imperfections, but characteristic of genuine leather.
- Shade Variation: Every hide will have a slightly different grain pattern, and variation in colour and grain within the same hide can occur. Four hides are needed to make one large sofa, so variation in colour and texture may occur between the different parts of a piece.
- Pull Up: Leather must be stretched taut for perfect upholstery; this causes it to appear lighter in colour especially across tighter areas such as arms. This effect will be more obvious on wax and oiled finishes.
- Scratches: On some wax finished leathers, characteristic scratch type marks may occur during the tanning and tumbling processes and are to be accepted.
- Dropping furniture onto corners or feet will cause damage to the frame and/or legs.
- Leaning backwards on two legs of a chair will weaken joints. Take care to prevent sharp objects such as toys, buckles and heels from coming into contact with your furniture.
- Avoid contact with any chemicals as these may affect the finish.
- Avoid sitting on the arms or edges of furniture as this may cause distortion or damage. Pushing feet against or placing them on the arms may cause damage to the arm or frame.
- Please do not allow your furniture to be jumped on, as this will damage the product.
- Take care to prevent sharp objects such as toys, buckles, garment studs and heels from coming into contact with your furniture as they may cause damage.
- We recommend you discourage domestic pets from climbing on or clawing upholstery.
- Avoid air pollution such as cigarette smoke and cooking fumes, which can cause leather to fade or change colour
- Take care to avoid chemicals such as hair preparations, fake tans, insect repellents and other cosmetics coming into contact with the leather; as this is likely to damage the surface.
- Do not use any polishes, creams or cleaning chemicals as they may damage the leather or cause discolouration.
- Following the guidelines above will ensure product performance is maintained. PortsideCafe is not responsible for defects caused by the misuse of your product.